Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Food thread

Go down 
+10
Mike`
Shanna_
Alison DiLaurentis
MissLilly
Charles
cinco
Jugz da' Clown
eli_
Span_ski
Isa
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Shanna_

Shanna_

Food thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 am

Peanut butter and jelly is one of our most popular childhood sandwiches.
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:26 am

Never had one?? But I am curious....
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:23 pm

cinco wrote:
And the combination of peanut butter and chocolate paste??? I never tried that one...
Peanut butter and nutella is good. I also like Nutella and honey.

Oh and i can't have tea unless it has milk in it tongue
Back to top Go down
Tuk17

Tuk17

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:45 pm

music PEANUT BUTTER JELLY! PEANUT BUTTER JELLY.. Peanut butter jelly- Peanut butter jel... Okay I'll stop.
It's a good combination.
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Your "jelly" is our "jam". Our jelly is your "jello"
Back to top Go down
Tuk17

Tuk17

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Peanut butter jelly is a song. smile I actually never say jelly I say jam. Soooo.. Idek!?
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Oh really? weird.
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Jelly and jam are 2 different things so I wonder if our jelly is your jam then what is your jam? Or maybe we have the same jams and you don't have jelly? Or maybe you don't differentiate between the two?
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Well here jam has bits of fruit in it and seeds and such? I would guess jelly is like jam but without the bits? All smooth?

voteforalice1 wrote:

Oh yeah.. I forgot about that kind of jelly... that's like a gelatin based thing you get in cubes, mix with water and then put in the fridge? I don't think thats the jelly(o) you have in a sandwich though? It wouldn't really last... the jelly(o) would melt and you'd just have a wet sandwich?

Do you have marmalade?

Intriguing Eyebrow
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:31 pm

There's grape jelly, but I've never heard of grape jam. I've also tried honeysuckle jelly, pear jelly, mint jelly, and I've heard of watermellon jelly. Then there's strawberry, raspberry, blackberry jam, and mango jam, and dozens of other types, I'm sure. Then orange marmalade is the most common marmalade I know of. And then there's fruit spreads and preserves. I bought a jar of lingonberry spread the other week. I don't know what seperates fruit spreads and preserves, or marmalade, from jam. Maybe it's about how much sugar is added or what type of fruit is used. Jelly is easy to tell apart though, cuz it's consistency is...well...jelly Shrug
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I think here marmalade and jam are the same thing, and jelly is not very common...?
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:49 pm

cinco wrote:
I dunno. I also find it strange that some people do milk in their tea, but it seems to be common in some countries.

Whether or not I put milk in my tea depends on what kind of tea I'm drinking (and I usually have about a dozen different kinds at any given time in my kitchen). I don't put milk in herbal tea, white tea, or green tea, but black tea, red tea and chai- yes, but not always. But I almost always put honey, rather than sugar, in any type of tea.
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:52 pm

eli_ wrote:
I think here marmalade and jam are the same thing, and jelly is not very common...?

But you don't have grape jam though (cuz I think it only comes in jelly form)? I don't really don't care for grape jelly much, but you should try pear jelly. Pear jelly is the best jelly. smile

Also orange marmalade is good, but I would never mix it with peanut butter. Peanut butter is best with strawberry jam.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Of course we have grape jam. though I'm still very confused about what is jelly and what is jam to you. can't we use pictures???
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh there is such thing as grape jam. Nvm. Grape jelly is just more common in the States, I think.

There's also pepper jelly! yahoo

Food thread - Page 13 Jalapeno-pepper-jelly-chicken-i2

Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Jugz da' Clown wrote:
Oh there is such thing as grape jam. Nvm. Grape jelly is just more common in the States, I think.

There's also pepper jelly! yahoo

Food thread - Page 13 Jalapeno-pepper-jelly-chicken-i2

Oh hell yeah!! I can get on that stuff with some peanut butter for sure!! smile

Do they sell that everywhere? Is is common in the States?

Also OT..... anyone been to Memphis? What's it like as a city? Nice? Or should I just do graceland and then skip lol?
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 6:55 pm

No, pepper jelly is not common. It's not sold next to the grape jelly and strawberry jam and other common stuff in regular grocery stores, I mean. But it's not that hard to find. I just found some Hot Pepper Jelly in this store called Le Gourmet Chef. A bought a little 4 oz. jar. I'll eat on crackers with some cream cheese.

And I've never been to Memphis, but I'd like to go there sometime. I've heard they have really good barbeque there.
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Shanna_ wrote:
Jelly and jam are 2 different things so I wonder if our jelly is your jam then what is your jam? Or maybe we have the same jams and you don't have jelly? Or maybe you don't differentiate between the two?
I'm starting to think we don't differentiate... or maybe we do, but i personally have no idea since i don't really eat it lol.

You guys have so much variety in the US
Random-I remember being at a cafe in Hawaii, and saw grape jelly. I'm an ass and didnt open it. I should have.

Span_ski wrote:
Well here jam has bits of fruit in it and seeds and such? I would guess jelly is like jam but without the bits? All smooth?

voteforalice1 wrote:

Oh yeah.. I forgot about that kind of jelly... that's like a gelatin based thing you get in cubes, mix with water and then put in the fridge? I don't think thats the jelly(o) you have in a sandwich though? It wouldn't really last... the jelly(o) would melt and you'd just have a wet sandwich?

Do you have marmalade?

Intriguing Eyebrow
Yep.
And yeah we have marmalade, but idk the difference between that and jam.

Wow, this conversation got more confusing.
Back to top Go down
Mike`

Mike`

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Now I want some jam. hash
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 12:02 am

I think the difference between marmalade and jam is the sweetness, and perhaps what it's made of? I've only ever seen orange marmalade though, that I know of, and that stuff is made with bits of the skin of the orange, so it's all bitter and stuff. At least that is what we call marmalade here. We do not have orange jam though...

I found this: Under European law, the word ‘marmalade’ can only be applied to fruit preserves made from citrus fruits

Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:08 am

MissLilly wrote:
I think the difference between marmalade and jam is the sweetness, and perhaps what it's made of? I've only ever seen orange marmalade though, that I know of, and that stuff is made with bits of the skin of the orange, so it's all bitter and stuff. At least that is what we call marmalade here. We do not have orange jam though...

I found this: Under European law, the word ‘marmalade’ can only be applied to fruit preserves made from citrus fruits
Come to think of it, me too scratch
That definition is probably right.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 am

I find it weird that there is a law for naming stuff though. A common rule sure, but law?
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 am

haha, it's serious business Lilly.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 am

After my research, I can say that here too we are supposed to call it "marmalade" only when it's made of citrus fruits, and "preserve" for everything else, but since we don't give a shit we just call EVERYTHING marmalade Very Happy

also it's marmalade (AKA jam) when there's fruit chunks in it, and the rest is called jelly.

the wiki page on fruit preserves

Also did you know that our Italian gelato can't be classified as "ice cream" because according to the US Food & Drug Administration ice cream is supposed to contain at least 10% butterfat, but our version is super healthy and it contains only 4-8%? So when gelato is shipped it has to be classified under "jam"!

Food thread - Page 13 Gelatoartigianaledolciprovsr
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 am

So do the Americans here ever have peanut butter and jam?

Eli, that is strange.
That pic looks so gooood though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Food thread
Page 13 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next