Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Random thoughts VI

Go down 
+11
mardou
Jugz da' Clown
Isa
Dina
Shanna_
Charles
eli_
Sez
MissLilly
Mike`
Phyxrak
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
eli_

eli_

Random thoughts VI - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm

At this point I should add that there are also things that make me happy in my life...!
here, have a more interesting list.
Random thoughts VI - Page 38 Tumblr_l9z9ff6Sir1qzodwfo1_500

So, did you buy Nutella Shanna? Happy
Back to top Go down
Mike`

Mike`

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Meraki = the adjective "lovingly" or "with love", even "with dedication" or "with one's entire being".
Pochemuchka = Inquisitive.
Cualacino = A "Ring"

The other ones I have a number of conjunctions that spring to mind, but not a single word. Shrug Yeah, there's no direct translation, but the thing with English is there are so many words that can be combined with each other to form these same definitions.

Last edited by Mike` on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 pm

I bought Nutella but I'm terrified of it. There's so much fat in it! It is the dame reason I don't eat a lot of peanut butter. I don't have my new years resolution and yet and I have a feeling i would really enjoy the nutella.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:28 pm

^^you should have bought a smaller one then! you didn't even try a spoonful?

Mike, I didn't even notice your post! Congrats for finishing your exams! Cheers

oh, just noticed they mispelled that. It's "culaccino", not cualacino.

Last edited by eli_ on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Shanna_ wrote:
Nope, almond joy and mounds are different. They have a commercial jingle: almond joy's got nuts mounds don't because sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't.
ROFL
And good to know scratch Mounds are like Bounty then smile
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:34 pm

I will try it just not on a day that I've already eaten a bunch of stuff i shouldn't have. Sunday is looking good for it. Wow, I really sound ridiculous right there. I'm actually planning snacks days on advance. I'm shaking my head and laughing at myself.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Nothing ridiculous about eating healty yahoo
Back to top Go down
Mike`

Mike`

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Oh my God, I'm a terrible person.

I just sat here and debated tequila vs. beer for twenty minutes with my three year old nephew. Not only did he fully understand what I was talking about, he had some rather interesting points of view.

Kid's a genius, but lordy am I awful.
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 7:23 pm

My niece was less then impressed with the idea of "Family date night".

Random thoughts VI - Page 38 430594_10101525151321445_12420861_69337850_378166697_n
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 pm

At karaoke with the goal of only singing songs that make people say "WTF!"
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Shanna_ wrote:
At karaoke with the goal of only singing songs that make people say "WTF!"

I fear for the bar patrons.
Back to top Go down
Sez

Sez

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 am

MsFalange wrote:
MOOORNING'S HEEERE - MORNING IS HERE!
SUNSHINE IS HERE - LALALALA!

HAHA That's the one tongue

Although cant sing it now it's 4:30pm here tongue
Back to top Go down
http://sezsisatotalgleekhehe.tumblr.com/
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 am

So...
I can't sleep smile
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 am

What's up, Pilar? Something on your mind, or?
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:36 am

I wasn't feeling ok during the day. I was having low blood pressure or something so I took an amazing nap that lasted for hours. Then I went out and had a good night and everything buuuuuut now its 6.30 and I can't sleep Shrug
And I'm blaming the nap.
Good morning Charlie smile are you working?
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:43 am

It sounds like the nap is to blame, yes. tongue

I am in work. I'm bored. I hate mornings. Especially when it's an early morning on the weekend! Ah well, only a few hours until I finish.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:57 am

How many hours are you working today? At least you are bored and not busy haha. It could be worst? smile
Also, there's a new tongue smiley or Im just seeing things?
I'm so bored that I'm playing chess against my computer. I can't win!!!! Im guessing it's impossible to win against machine? Shrug
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:02 am

Uhm... the tongue smiley has always been different for me on my work computer. And the Very Happy smiley. But they're the 'normal' ones on my phone.

I don't think I've ever played chess against a computer.
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:12 am

eli_ wrote:
At this point I should add that there are also things that make me happy in my life...!

Never heard of 'Waldeinsamkeit' here Laughing
But I love when words like 'Schadenfreude' or 'Doppelgänger' pop up in english sentences - oh how I would love to hear an english-speaking native say 'Schadenfreude' Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:13 am

Im so glad that I'm not the only one with "normal" and "not normal" smileys. I thought it was just my iPod acting weird.
Dont play chess vs. a machine. It's really annoying.

Last edited by mardou on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:18 am

MsFalange wrote:

But I love when words like 'Schadenfreude' or 'Doppelgänger' pop up in english sentences - oh how I would love to hear an english-speaking native say 'Schadenfreude' Laughing Laughing

As an spanish-speaking native, honestly, I can't say that words either. scratch
Also pena ajena (or vergüenza ajena here, its almost the same thing) is one of my favorite expressions ever. I use it all the time.
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 am

mardou wrote:
MsFalange wrote:

As an spanish-speaking native, honestly, I can't say that words either. scratch
Also pena ajena (or vergüenza ajena here, its almost the same thing) is one of my favorite expressions ever. I use it all the time.

A lot of people have problems with the german pronounciation: and that's normal - it's a horribly, harsh language a lot of the times.
It' just always very amusing - I was at a highschool in england once as a language assistant and you could see with which words all the students had problems. I don't know why, but I find things like that strangely interesting.

Yeah, we have a word for 'pena ajena' too, it's Fremdschämen (Fremd=foreign/strange schämen=to be ashamed of sth.)

Also very random: My exchange student once said to me, she liked german because it would make sense. For example umbrella is Regenschirm (Regen=rain, schirm=shield - a shield for the rain) and she liked that whenever we thank somebody, the word we use would translated be 'pretty thanks' (Dankeschön) and I never even realized that Laughing
The insights you get into your own language through other people Wink
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:36 am

MsFalange wrote:

A lot of people have problems with the german pronounciation: and that's normal - it's a horribly, harsh language a lot of the times.
It' just always very amusing - I was at a highschool in england once as a language assistant and you could see with which words all the students had problems. I don't know why, but I find things like that strangely interesting.

Yeah, we have a word for 'pena ajena' too, it's Fremdschämen (Fremd=foreign/strange schämen=to be ashamed of sth.)
Also very random: My exchange student once said to me, she liked german because it would make sense. For example umbrella is Regenschirm (Regen=rain, schirm=shield - a shield for the rain) and she liked that whenever we thank somebody, the word we use would translated be 'pretty thanks' (Dankeschön) and I never even realized that Laughing
The insights you get into your own language through other people Wink

That's really interesting. I found etymology sooooo fascinating that it makes me feel like a nerd asd
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 am

I've never seen/heard Schadenfreude used as a loan word in English. But I hear Doppelgänger all the time. It's funny how many loan words we use in English. My girlfriend has a little chuckle whenever she hears déjà vu used in an English sentence.
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:58 am

MsFalange wrote:
eli_ wrote:

There really should be an English word for "secondhand embarrassment" though. I use that phrase a lot, because I feel it a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts VI   Random thoughts VI - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random thoughts VI
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next