Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Random thoughts V

Go down 
+12
Alison DiLaurentis
Jugz da' Clown
Niklas
Dina
mardou
Shanna_
Sez
MissLilly
Isa
Span_ski
eli_
Charles
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
eli_

eli_

Random thoughts V - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Translating MJ songs. Badly Laughing
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of BOY before. What kind of music is it?

I love lazing around. It's my favorite hobby Laughing
I've gotten too used to having people around me this week, and now that I finally have the apartement all to myself for the evening I can't enjoy it. Sucks how easily adaptable we humans are. Normally I love being alone. I treasure every moment, and can't get enough. But now I just want my cousin to come back home and keep me comany, lol. I'm pathetic tongue

eli_ wrote:
Translating MJ songs. Badly Laughing

lol! Do you even translate the songs for the episodes?
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:47 pm

MissLilly wrote:

lol! Do you even translate the songs for the episodes?
we started doing it back when the songs were related to the plot, but I guess it's pretty useless now?
Anyway translating the songs early means half the work already done by next tuesday, so Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:50 pm

It's not useless if people need lyrics to understand though.
Good on you for bothering with all that work!

Idea - to ease the workload you could always google translate the lyrics, and then just correct the grammar and such, if needed.
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Promt is a way better translator than google-translator imo
http://www.online-translator.com/?prmtlang=de

I know, because I'm too lazy to do my italian homework and instead I just write something in english and then have it translated there and correct some little mistakes here and there (the ones I notice at least)
God, when did I become such a lazy person? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Oh no, songs are like poems, they need to be interpreted. We always take a few days to translate them properly, and that's just stage one. After that the editor needs to polish them. You can't just google translate things, or people would never need actual translators. I heart u
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Ugh interpretations...That's why I always hated poetry in my german classes. By far my worst exam in the past years *shudder*
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm exhausted and I've unfortunately over committed myself this weekend. I think I might be living on coffee until Tuesday night when I actually have a moment to relax.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:03 pm

eli_ wrote:
Oh no, songs are like poems, they need to be interpreted. We always take a few days to translate them properly, and that's just stage one. After that the editor needs to polish them. You can't just google translate things, or people would never need actual translators. I heart u

Oh my goodness. So basically you write almost new songs every week then, with just the message intact?

I'd be waaaaay to lazy for that Laughing
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Shanna_ wrote:
I'm exhausted and I've unfortunately over committed myself this weekend. I think I might be living on coffee until Tuesday night when I actually have a moment to relax.

So what you up to then Shanna?

And don't forget to eat as well! You'll need calories and proteins and such to keep you going. Coffee will only get you so far.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:08 pm

It's my job though, and I love to translate. It's like the "how do you say this thing in your language in the most accurate way possible" challenge.
Maybe its' not that fun if you're not into it Wink
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 pm

But what if there's a song that was so personal to the writer, that the message is not really clear.
Like, into a lot of Bon Iver you could interpret about anything (exaggerating, but still)... did glee ever do a song like that? Do you just interpret it in an way it would fit the Storyline then?
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Oooooh! It's your job? Like this stuff goes on tv and such?
I thought you just did it for people who download, in your own time.
Well, in that case, I'd totally do it as well, if there was money involved, lol!
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 pm

For the most difficult songs we brainstorm, maybe go read different interpetations, and decide together.

Ummm let's see. For example we had I Follow Rivers, we weren't sure what to do with that.
Not that it mattered because Jenna ended up singing just a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm

In general I'm rather impressed that you get everything as a "not-native"-speaker. We have some mumblers in the cast, like at some things for example HeMo says I'm like "What?" *rewind* "What??"

Edit: Aside from pop-culture references I don't get (like the Lucy discussion we had once Laughing)
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:22 pm

MissLilly wrote:
Oooooh! It's your job? Like this stuff goes on tv and such?
I thought you just did it for people who download, in your own time.
Well, in that case, I'd totally do it as well, if there was money involved, lol!
ahahah no I do it online for now but I fully intend to make it my future job. People that translate things on tv are still an old generation that doens't even google things, it's infuriating.
For example I was watching the Big Bang Theory on tv today, and Sheldon was talking about Doctor Who, but it was tranlsated into "I Was Born a Scientist" WTF just because. Google it, is it so difficult?
Years ago these people had no choice but to invent things, but now we have internet, we can check what you do. Stop being lazy! Use tumblr! Use Urban Dictionary! Ask the fandom! I can't believe those people are paid to do their job. But some day they'll die and we will take their place asd
Getting all worked up on something that no one else care about

MsFalange wrote:
In general I'm rather impressed that you get everything as a "not-native"-speaker. We have some mumblers in the cast, like at some things for example HeMo says I'm like "What?" *rewind* "What??"

Edit: Aside from pop-culture references I don't get (like the Lucy discussion we had once Laughing)

we have english subtitles though, you can use them too for things you don't get. But we're able to tranlsate things just from listening about 90% of the time
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:29 pm

No, I totally get it! It's one of the things that bother me to no end, when stuff is translated wrong in the subtitles.
Like, how stupid are those people sometimes? Get with the program.
So I prefer to watch stuff without subtitles really, it's not like I need them anyway. But if I watch TV it's not like I can avoid it, and it always drives me mad, because there's always something that doesn't make sense. And they never seem to get numbers right. If someone says f.ex 2 days in the actual program, the subtitles can say 3, or something. It's like they don't even pay attention. Maddening!
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:30 pm

mardou wrote:
Span_ski wrote:
Time to head back to the, hotel.... Its soccer time smile!!
espn? Soccer
I think there are two games at the same time and they're showing tottenham vs Idontknowwho Thumbs Down

I know Tottenham v Watford?! Who wants to watch that?! WTF

I was not impressed, but at least I got to see the goals! and more importantly we won!!! yahoo

That's a pretty rare thing at the moment! My Dad will be super pleased too! He's already text lol, and I expect a skype within the hour lol

I'm hoping they replay it at some point this evening?
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm

I think Germany is one of the (few?) countries that (almost) doesn't use subtitles at all.
They synchronize everything and I hate it.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:37 pm

You mean they dub things?
everything is dubbed here too, but it still needs to be translated
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:39 pm

eli_ wrote:
You mean they dub things?
everything is dubbed here too, but it still needs to be translated

Yes, the dub everything.
Ther german word is: synchronisieren so that's why I wrote synchronize Laughing
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:40 pm

I hate dubbing, I'm so glad we don't do that.

Our spanish neighbors would always watch their spanish channels that had everything dubbed. And just watching mouths move and not fit with the words said... makes me want to jump off a brigde or something Laughing
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 pm

dubbing doesnt bother me so much, but probably just because I'm used to it. What about disney movies and children stuff? do you use subs for those too?

glee in italian

(feel like I already posted this somewhere)
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:49 pm

No, children cartoons are dubbed. That don't bother me though, because you can't see as well there that their mouths don't move to the exact words and stuff. It's just the real life stuff that drives me up the wall.
But with the technology we have today we can choose the language we want on f.ex Disney Channel (yes, I still watch disney channel, lol), so I have set it on English.

I can't watch that youtube vid. Not approved for my country Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:52 pm

It's also not approved for germany
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts V   Random thoughts V - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random thoughts V
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next