Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Book thread

Go down 
+12
Mike`
Phyxrak
Jugz da' Clown
Charles
eli_
Shanna_
Dina
mardou
Span_ski
MissLilly
Isa
House Carl
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mardou

mardou

The Book thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Ok then Very Happy the problem is now I've forgotten what I wanted to share..
it wasn't this one but still I think is a good one. the last question always leaves me like..thinking.
Quote :
“I got out of the house and walked along and didn’t know which way to go, my mind kept turning into the several directions that I was thinking of going but my body kept walking straight along Columbus altho I felt the sensation of each of the directions I mentally and emotionally turned into amazed at all the possible directions you can take with different motives that come in like it can make you a different person — I’ve often thought of this since childhood of suppose instead of going up Columbus as I usually did I’d turn into Filbert would something happen that at the time is insignificant enough but would be like enough to influence my whole life in the end? — What’s in store for me in the direction I don’t take?”
that's kerouac.
I'm up for reading quotes about anything bounce
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Oh great!

Here, have a little quote from "The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls":

"Awareness is the enemy of sanity, for once you hear the screaming, it never stops.

Perfume was first created to mask the stench of foul and offensive odors...
Spices and bold flavouring were created to mask the taste of putrid and rotting meat...

What then was music created for?

Was it to drown out the voices of others, or the voices within ourselves?

I think I know."

It's the first sentences of the book, and it gets me everytime.
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Quote :
What then was music created for?

Was it to drown out the voices of others, or the voices within ourselves?
that was great.
havent read that one.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 pm

It's a truly great book. I love it!

Your quote made me think as well.
It's funny how something so simple as choosing one direction over another, can impact your life. Or missing the bus and having to take the next one etc. Small happenings that have the potential to be life altering if you happen upon the right one.
But then I also think if you're meant to be some place at one time, you'll be there. Fate will make it so.

Basically, I do believe in destiny when it comes to the greater stuff.
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 8:03 pm

We die containing a richness of lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have plunged into and swum up as if rivers of wisdom, characters we have climbed into as if trees, fears we have hidden in as if caves.

I wish for all this to be marked on by body when I am dead. I believe in such cartography - to be marked by nature, not just to label ourselves on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings. We are communal histories, communal books. We are not owned or monogamous in our taste or experience.

From The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje.

My favorite film and one of my favorite books.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Quote :
not just to label ourselves on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings.
loved the detail of the rich people names on buildings.

Quote :
We are communal histories, communal books.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 pm

I love Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. And Harry Potter of course, duh.

Lately I've been readin Peter Pan. When I was a kid I loved the disney movie but never undersood the book. Now I have to say it's brilliant, I'm loving every page,
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:07 pm

A book a really love is A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I know lots of people dislike it but I can't help loving it. I'm always rereading it.
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 am

Have you guys read Never Let Me Go? I think some of you would like it.

The film with Keira Knightley (love her) is not so good though.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 pm

I haven't read Never Let Me Go nor A Separate Peace. I keep adding books and books to my list.
Last week I read "The Outsider" by Camus in one night. I recommend it a lot. It's a classic but it also so.. touching in so many ways. It's a about a man who can't.. feel. It doesn't say it in a explicit way but you notice that. indifference is such a hard feeling to describe. Camus is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Love the His Dark Materials trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 pm

mardou wrote:
I haven't read Never Let Me Go nor A Separate Peace. I keep adding books and books to my list.
Last week I read "The Outsider" by Camus in one night. I recommend it a lot. It's a classic but it also so.. touching in so many ways. It's a about a man who can't.. feel. It doesn't say it in a explicit way but you notice that. indifference is such a hard feeling to describe. Camus is amazing.
I read that book over the summer. I really liked it. It was one of those great books that make you stop and think.

I'm on a constant quest to catch up on the classics that I should have already read. There are so many books I need to read.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 12:09 am

Funny but nobody mentioned poetry and, talking about classics I'm adventuring on Les Poètes maudits (Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Mallarmé) A crazy but deep sensitive and talented movement of french poets.
Poetry is like.. a parallel universe I love you
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 7:20 am

I love poetry, though I don't know that much.

I'm a fan of Sylvia Plath and I especially like Brazilian ones, like Carlos Drummond de Andrade and Vinicius de Moraes. Also Fernando Pessoa, who's Portuguese.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Pessoa is friggin' amazing. And Vinicius is a genius, what he touches is just gold. I'm going to do some research about Plath and Drummond de Andreade.
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:40 pm

A book that holds a special place in my heart is "Hector and the Search for Happiness"
It's about Hector (shocking, I know!), who is a psychiatrist and he is unhappy, because he feels like he can't bring his patience happiness.
So he asks himself what is happiness and when are we happy and goes on this big journey around the world to figure it out.

Everytime he discovers something about the phenomenon 'happiness' in this story, he writes it down and the result is a list that sums up all the lessons (all in all 22) he learned about happiness that you can read in total at the end of the book and it looks like this:

Quote :

Lesson 1- Making comparisons can spoil your happiness.
Lesson 2- Happiness often comes when least expected.
Lesson 3- Many people only see happiness in their future.
Lesson 4- Many people think that happiness comes from having more power or more money.
Lesson 5- Sometimes happiness is not knowing the whole story.
Lesson 6- Happiness is a long walk in beautiful, unfamiliar mountains.
Lesson 7- It’s a mistake to think that happiness is the goal.
Lesson 8A- Happiness is being with the people that you love.
Lesson 8B- Unhappiness is being separated from the people that you love.
Lesson 9- Happiness is knowing that your family lacks for nothing.
Lesson 10- Happiness is doing a job that you love.
Lesson 11- Happiness is having a home and a garden of your own.
Lesson 12- It’s harder to be happy in a country run by bad people.
Lesson 13- Happiness is feeling useful to others.
Lesson 14- Happiness is to be loved for EXACTLY who you are.
Lesson 15- Happiness comes when you feel truly alive.
Lesson 16- Happiness is knowing how to celebrate.
Lesson 17- Happiness is caring about the happiness of those you love.
Lesson 18- The Sun and the Sea make everybody happy.
Lesson 19- Happiness is not attaching too much importance to what other people think.
Lesson 20- Happiness is a certain way of seeing things.
Lesson 21- Rivalry ruins happiness.

Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

The Book thread - Page 2 Reading

Got my xmas reading material Very Happy

boogie yahoo Clap
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I see Huxley!! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
House Carl

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 2:52 am

MissLilly wrote:
The Book thread - Page 2 Reading

Got my xmas reading material Very Happy

boogie yahoo Clap

Congrats!

Need to get me some books too... Haven't quite decided what yet tho. Been watching too much TV and too many movies.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Quote :
“Tonight,” I thought, “I sleep tight and long and pray under the stars for
the Lord to bring me to Buddhahood after my Buddhawork is done, amen.” And
as it was Christmas, I added “Lord bless you all and merry tender Christmas
on all your rooftops and I hope angels squat there the night of the big real
star, amen.” And then I thought later, lying on my bag smoking, “Everything
is possible. I am God, I am Buddha, I am imperfect Ray Smith, all at the
same time, I am empty space, I am all things. I have all the time in the
world from life to life to do what is to do, to do what is to be done, to do
the timeless doing, infinitely perfect within, why cry, why worry, perfect
like the mind essence… ..I was started on my new life…a regular Don
Quixote of tenderness. In the morning I felt exhilarated and meditated
first thing and made up a little prayer: “I bless you, all living things, I
bless you in the endless past, I bless you in the endless present, I bless
you in the endless future, amen.”
Kerouac- The Dharma Bums.
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 pm

TBH, I don't read a lot of high-brow literature any more. I read erotica mostly, and non-fiction books about all sorts of weird and random things. I've read several books by Mary Roach reccently. This lady's mind is a lot like mine.
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm

I read 1984 and Animal Farm in high school. I remember liking 1984 but not Animal Farm.

I got Amazon gift cards for christmas and my very first purchase was The Hunger Games trilogy for my Kindle Fire I am very excited to read those.

My usual taste in reading is almost anything Fantasy and some scifi. I also liked The Davinci Code and pretty much anything like it. I am also a huge um, Ancient Alien fan so I have tons of books related to that on my shelves.

I used to be a huge fan of the Earth's Children books my Jean M. Auel, but Jesus the last book just about killed that for me. One of the worst books I have ever read.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I haven't read a single one of the books I was planing to read this Christmas. I read the first pages of Animal Farm though. Thought I'd start with that one, as it was so thin. But meh.. I don't know if I thought it started of mindnumbingly boring, or if I just wasn't in the right mindset to read at all, considering I haven't even opened the other books yet.
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:02 pm

God I feel terrible but I forgot to mention that one of my favorite books of all time is Dune. I haven't read all of the books in the series but I have read that one like 6 times.
Back to top Go down
House Carl

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 4:41 am

Re-reading an old fave atm, The Count of Monte Cristo.

Originally thought I'd pick up a new book but... I'm one of those people who can read the same book over and over again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Book thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next