Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Music talk

Go down 
+11
Jugz da' Clown
Sez
Shanna_
Alison DiLaurentis
Dina
Span_ski
mardou
House Carl
MissLilly
Charles
Isa
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28
AuthorMessage
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

Music talk - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm

I mean like... does she get asked to do little performances (gigs) in bars/pubs etc yet? Or it is more something she just shows to you guys/her friends?

That's how a lot of them start of. Doing nights in pubs.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, she used to work in a cafe / bar, and had small performances there, mostly for friends and the costumers who bothered listen. And once a year we have something called Culture Night, where she has performed at least the last two years.
One of the people she knows just got a record deal (he was doing this concert with her, you'll see him in another video) and he asked her to do some vocals on a song (which was only fair cause she helped write it. I think I've posted it before. It's called "Deville". Great song, I love it!)
And she's had some other random shows with a band, but she's not been doing this regularly.

I believe she will be though. She's entered herself to "The Voice", so yeah, I think now she's starting to really do this seriously. It's also probably got a lot to do with the fact that her son is now almost 7, and it's easier for her to get out of the house, and commit to the music.
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Ahh that's awesome. Even if she's performing for people on occasion, that's how it starts, right?
And good idea entering The Voice.
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Apparently "Every breath you take" IS actually a stalker song? Sting said it is.
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Angus & Julia Stone is so good!!! Spent half my day listening to their albums.

I can't link youtube videos, but google them. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

I can't link either because I'm on my phone and it's a pain in the search to do but my two current song obsessions are Pink and Nick Reuss 'Just Give Me A Reason' and Bastille 'Pompeii'.
Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:19 pm

MissLilly wrote:
I'm just gonna post it anyway, heh Wink

Really this is more of a collection/medley of songs that she hasn't finished and just put them together. First minute or so is in Norwegian, rest in English:

I'm just seeing this now! Really cool! Thumbs Up

All the best of luck to her.
It's really mostly about meeting the right people at the right time I think... and a lot of social networking (what you described with the "she knows all these artistic types, as she is one herself obviously" is essentially just that I would assume)
You do your thing, other people like that, you end up doing a gig together, someone in the the crowd there knows someone who knows someone, everyone keeps in contact every once in a while etc.

@ Rosie: I guess if you want to be noticed you need to get our there and play live as much as you can, which is a time consuming and sometimes frustrating thing.
And to not only play in front of the same 5 people that always come to your gigs (because they're your best friends or significant others) then you need to find other artists to team up with. They bring their people, you bring your own, everyone wins.
Which brings us back to the social networking once again Wink

And don't forget the luck.
In the end it's not necessarily the best artist that get's the deal, it's the one with the most luck. Maybe because they are easier to promote or younger or look more stylish or because they simply met the right people at the right time.

And sometimes life is wonderful and the amazing artist finally get's that record deal they deserved.
But unfortunately a record-deal is anything but a guarantor for success - and it can often make everything a lot harder and not at all easier.

As for "The Voice" thing: I don't know how it works in Norway, but here in Germany they rip people off pretty badly. You need to sign a contract with the network and from that moment on - whether you win the show or turn out to only be in the Top 20 or something - they own you as a "brand" and even if the opportunity arises, no label would be able to sign you without paying the network beforehand.
You are very limited in your creative choices for a particular amount of time (don't know for how long exactly) and I hope your friend is looking out for these kind of traps that may be laying around there.
It's a shame that this world works like this, but all the big guys are thinking in numbers... and you need to look out for yourself because to them you are simply a number as well.

/rant over - why did this turn out to be so much text?

@Isa I love Angus and Julia Stone Thumbs Up
nice taste

Also want to share the awesome Bombay Bicycle Club.
This is a beautiful version of their song Flaws:

Back to top Go down
Dina

Dina

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Charlie, no kidding: I'm on a massive Bastille Trip myself atm!

They rock!
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Dina wrote:
As for "The Voice" thing: I don't know how it works in Norway, but here in Germany they rip people off pretty badly. You need to sign a contract with the network and from that moment on - whether you win the show or turn out to only be in the Top 20 or something - they own you as a "brand" and even if the opportunity arises, no label would be able to sign you without paying the network beforehand.
You are very limited in your creative choices for a particular amount of time (don't know for how long exactly) and I hope your friend is looking out for these kind of traps that may be laying around there.
It's a shame that this world works like this, but all the big guys are thinking in numbers... and you need to look out for yourself because to them you are simply a number as well.

I actually have no idea about how The Voice works here in Norway. I've never watched a single episode ever because I personally despise these competition shows (and everything supposedly "reality"), and have no idea about the rules, but they're probably the same. I'll of course watch if she gets on though, heh tongue
She's going in for her preliminary audition tomorrow, so if she gets picked to go on, I'll definitely talk to her about it, and see if she's aware.

Thanks Dina smile
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 6:03 am

Lana Del Rey - Ride.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 pm

"Magic Chords"- Sharon Van Etten

"Mouthful of Diamonds"- Phantogram
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Music talk   Music talk - Page 28 EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:55 pm

It's not often I actually like the songs from Norway (in general and especially in Eurovision), but this one I really like, so smile