Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Disney Thread

Go down 
+5
cinco
Isa
Jugz da' Clown
MissLilly
eli_
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
cinco

cinco

The Disney Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 am

Anyway, here's some official concept art from Brave.

The Disney Thread - Page 3 Jenny-lerew

The Disney Thread - Page 3 Brave1

The Disney Thread - Page 3 YoungMerida_Drawing_MNolte_Pencil_2009

The Disney Thread - Page 3 Brave3
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 11:31 am

Oh, those horror version reminds me of American McGee's Alice. Anyone played that?
I played it some time back, but got stuck on a really difficult part... Think I want to try it again.

Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 am

Yesterday I saw Pocahontas for the first time. (really, I've never seen it before)
So wow, to my surprise they didn't end up together at the end, that was a first for a Disney animated movie I guess.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 am

Really, first time? Wow. What did you think of the characters, plot and animation?
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:54 am

The backgrounds, colourization and stylized effects were great, but the animation of the human characters had some stiffness to be honest. Pocahontas was a strong lead but John Smith felt a bit too cliched. I was amazed that the movie contained themes about arranged marriages and such (although those themes were handled in a quite mild manner) Also, the death of the Indian Pocahontas was 'promised' to was something I didn't see coming, as well as the animal sidekick of the villain turning to the good side. Those things were all a bit different from what you would expect of this type of Disney movie.
The overall tone of the feature might have been a bit too serious and that could have worked if they made the movie a bit longer and did some more emotional exploring, but now it felt as one of the lesser movies from the Disney Renaissance.
The music was topnotch though and deserved those Oscars.
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:18 am

It's fun to read reviews from an adult point of view, because these movies are part of our childhood and most of us can't even judge them impartially.
Recently I saw it for the first time after so many years and I thought the story was a bit weak, but when you're a kid you can't really tell.
(Also I used to say I wanted to marry Kocoum, because I couldn't say out loud I found John Smith boring or that I actually wanted to marry Pochaontas Laughing )
Um, for the ending they wanted to follow the historic events as close as possible, there's also a second movie (not as good as this one) with an unexpected finale.
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:27 am

eli_ wrote:
Um, for the ending they wanted to follow the historic events as close as possible, there's also a second movie (not as good as this one) with an unexpected finale.

Oh yeah, a straight-to-video movie.
I never was a fan of those kind of movies. (The Lion King 1 1/2 being the exception and I think Return to Neverland is also kind of good though, although I never saw that one either)

I also watched Wall-E with audiocommentary yesterday.
I still don't get why they decided to use live-action footage on the hyper-realistic abandoned earth during the beginning of the movie while they choose a total cartoony style once Wall-E enters the spaceship.
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 am

I rewatched Pocahontas this weekend and during my second watch I liked it better.
Weird, I have that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Although I watch a lot of animation, there are still some classics I never saw.
So today I saw 101 Dalmatians for the first time.
Very stylized backgrounds.

The Disney Thread - Page 3 23100_101-dalmatians-8

Really! The painting of the backgrounds sometimes even reminded me of Van Gogh's style.

(compare with his style in his 'La Chambre'-painting)

The Disney Thread - Page 3 La+chambre+de+Van+Gogh+%C3%A0+Arles(1889))

Also, the mother dalmatian only birthed 14 puppies and the rest was adopted. I didn't know that.
I always thought she birthed the whole 101. mistake
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm watching the animated Robin Hood for the first time since I was kid. Very Happy

I wanna watch 101 Dalmatians, too.
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Jugz da' Clown wrote:
I'm watching the animated Robin Hood for the first time since I was kid. Very Happy

I wanna watch 101 Dalmatians, too.

Robin Hood is a long time favorite

I am watching the Lion King on tv right now
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 am

Phyxrak wrote:

I am watching the Lion King on tv right now

The Disney Thread - Page 3 LiloAndStitchTeaserLionKing10
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 am

Short 'Brave' review.

The Disney Thread - Page 3 Merida-bear-wisp

Well, it's Pixar but it feels more Disney than any other movie they ever made.
Why? Well, there's the concept of the Disney Princess, there's a witch with a cauldron and a raven, there's a spell in which a person changes into an animal... all Disney-ingredrients.

One difference though, it's not about living happily ever after with a prince, it's more some sort of tale about the differences between a mother and a daughter.

Also, I like it more than Dreamworks' How To Train A Dragon, which has similar elements.

So as great as other Pixars? No, it's no Toy Story. But better than most other cgi animated movies? Definitely! smile

And oh yeah, the little short accompanying it ('La Luna') is absolutely gorgeous.

The Disney Thread - Page 3 Pixar-readies-La-Luna-short-at-the-D23-Expo-for-Disneys-Brave-in-2012
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Thread   The Disney Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Disney Thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3