Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Random thoughts IV

Go down 
+11
Dina
eli_
Mike`
Jugz da' Clown
Sez
Shanna_
Span_ski
Alison DiLaurentis
Charles
Isa
MissLilly
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Charles

Charles

Random thoughts IV - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am

You'll be fine. Just rely heavily on hand gestures etc. Lol.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Most of the civilized world understand at least some English though, don't they, so I'm sure you'll be just fine Span smile
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Yup, that's the plan... that and hoping that lots of people speak english, and whatever words and phrases are in the back of my guidebook lol

Thanks Lilly!!! Fingers crossed!! smile
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Portuguese is very similar to Spanish so I think you will be able to understand some of it, just bring a dictionary. And it's not going to be that hard to find people who understand English, just look for young people. And in any case, give me a call and I'll help you. Wink
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks!! I'll be taking you up on that I'm sure!!! smile
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm gonna teach you all some words/expressions in Portuguese that could come in handy.

Bom dia = Good Morning
Obrigada = Thank you (guys say obrigado)
Com licença = Excuse me
Você poderia me ajudar? = Can you help me?
Eu não falo Português = I don't speak Portuguese
Onde é a festa? = Where is the party?
Cerveja = Beer
Eu precisa da Naya Rivera na minha vida agora = I need Naya Rivera in my life now
Eu odeio Glee = I hate Glee

fiesta
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Is the Portuguese the same in Brazil as it is in Portugal?
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Isabela wrote:
I'm gonna teach you all some words/expressions in Portuguese that could come in handy.

Bom dia = Good Morning
Obrigada = Thank you (guys say obrigado)
Com licença = Excuse me
Você poderia me ajudar? = Can you help me?
Eu não falo Português = I don't speak Portuguese
Onde é a festa? = Where is the party?
Cerveja = Beer
Eu precisa da Naya Rivera na minha vida agora = I need Naya Rivera in my life now
Eu odeio Glee = I hate Glee

fiesta

LMAO.... handy I'm sure lulz

And Cerveja... well that's one I did know lol

Thanks for those though! I'll endeavor to use them all during the course of my trip!!

Shanna_ wrote:

I think the words are the same, but the accent is different? I think? Actually I have no idea? lol
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:51 pm

One of the kid's I work with has a grandmother that is from Portugal. The other day the grandma was teaching me secret religious handshakes. I was flying away with the Holy Spirit. I turned very very red because it was definitely in front of people.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm really loving the portugese language!
Here's a site I've been looking at, Span: http://www.sonia-portuguese.com/text/phrases.htm
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Shanna_ wrote:
One of the kid's I work with has a grandmother that is from Portugal. The other day the grandma was teaching me secret religious handshakes. I was flying away with the Holy Spirit. I turned very very red because it was definitely in front of people.

Que?! Lol

I have no idea what this means? I'm confused by the secret religious handshakes.. and also why that would make you turn red? lol

Also flying? ROFL

MissLilly wrote:
I'm really loving the portugese language!
Here's a site I've been looking at, Span: http://www.sonia-portuguese.com/text/phrases.htm

Cheers Lilly! I'll definitely be checking that out yahoo
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:26 pm

It was a grand handshake in front of a lot of people and she was very loud telling me about it. She said it was a secret only people in her country knew about.
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Lol.. I just had a very funny image of you shaking hands with some Portuguese lady in work, whilst flying looking embarrassed Laughing

But that makes more sense!
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Shanna_ wrote:

Basically yes. We can all understand each other pretty well, but it could get hard at times. Also in my opinion there are greater differences between European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese than there are between British English and American English, for instance. There are differences in grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary. Portuguese spoken in countries such as Angola and Mozambique is closer to European Portuguese than Brazilian Portuguese, probably because they were colonies till the 1970s.

Some words are really funny. Like "puto". It's an awful word in Brazil. It could mean a male hooker or a very offensive word for gay man. In Portugual it means "boy". Bicha is a offensive word for gay here and it means queue/line in Portugal.

I've no idea about secret religious handshakes from Portugal btw. Then again, I'm not religious at all and I wouldn't know anything, but that sounds really weird for me.

Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Span_ski wrote:
Isabela wrote:

LMAO.... handy I'm sure lulz

LOL I actually wrote that wrong. It's "Eu preciso" and not "Eu precisa".

Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Portuguese is fun. I like reading it because my ability to read Spanish is at least adequate enough to be able to sort of figure out what the Portuguese is. Context clues and online dictionaries make it fun for me. I think this is a dork moment for me.
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:47 pm

If you can understand Spanish you can easily read Portuguese too. I've never properly studied Spanish (which is bad actually) but I can understand it pretty well. I love reading in Spanish. When I was in Spain last year I was even translating Spanish to English to some Americans who actually had studied Spanish but could not understand what people were saying to them.

I think it's a nice effort, Shanna. Me gusta!
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:55 pm

They don't teach us to speak Spanish from Spain here. I've met one person who learned something other than Latin or South American Spanish in a class and that was because the teacher came from Spain. It's so different!
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Yay! Feels good to be at home. Back up in 7 hours for another 8 hours of overtime though. I'm a glutton for punishment. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm amazed you still alive, Charlie. yahoo

I got to finish work earlier today, so that was good, but I'll have to do something work related tomorrow morning to help some people. I'm really super nice. meh
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh man....this is fucking funny...and true. Watch Wink

Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:12 pm

lulz So much truth! "So, what do you do?" Lmao. If I had a penny for every time I'd heard that I'd be one rich mofo.
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:20 pm

^ikr?
And the straight girl on the phone crying about her boyfriend- "i'd be better off as a lesbian". I've heard that several times.
Or "omg you're wearing heels!" (random, but it's happened lol)
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Yeah. I've heard both of those too. I also get:
OMG you're wearing make up.
OMG you're wearing a dress.
OMG your gf is really feminine.
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:47 pm

I never really get "omg you're wearing a dress" because i never wear them. Haha. But i'm sure i would if i did.

Lol, people. I'm going to show that video to everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts IV   Random thoughts IV - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random thoughts IV
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next