Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Book thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 pm

I've been told it's quite scary. This girl said she couldn't finish the book because she was so scared... Now I have to finish it just to impress her Very Happy

I also bought The Great Gatsby. That will be the next one.
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm

I am super excited because a book I want to read came in the mail today! I got The Women Of Brewster Place and it looks so good!! Now I just need to finish Babbitt...
Back to top Go down
Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:20 pm

What is it about, Shanna?

I'm nearly finished with The Turn of the Screw. Not as scary as I thought it would be, but very intriguing.
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:37 pm

The Women of Brewster Place is about a group of women living in a rundown neighborhood in a city. It is their struggles and lives. It was a movie ages ago and I remember it being powerful.
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 pm

I just read The Awakening by Kate Chopin and I'm shocked at how far controversial topics have come. When the came out in1899 it was scandalous and basically ruined the authors reputation. It threw me when I read it because it is so not shocking and scandalous. It was so tame! I guess I was expecting crass or bold but instead it was almost polite in it's telling. It is odd realizing how different things are now.
Back to top Go down
Mike`

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Mate bought a copy of Che's Motorcycle Diaries, so I'ma borrow it when he's done. Very Happy Breaking into my definitive Che biography again though. smile
Back to top Go down
Tuk17

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm reading The First Confessor By: Terry Goodkind. It's only available as an eBook though. Quite enjoyable. It's pretty much a prequel to The Sword of Truth series, which is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:27 am

I'm reading The Black Book, by Turkish author Orhan Pamuk. I'm struggling a bit, but it seems very interesting.
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:51 pm

You all seem to be reading such sophisticated books, and I'm here all "I love my YA books" lol

Anyway, I just ordered "What's left of me" by Kat Zhang, and "Outpost" by Ann Aguirre which is the second book in a trilogy I'm reading.

I'm also doing dystopian literature for my Norwegian course's depth study. I was so happy we didn't have to do just Norwegian authors and books. As long as they were translated to Norwegian it was good enough. So yay! Thumbs Up I'd be bored to death if that was the case, but now I'm super excited for it. I'm totally "cheating" though, because there is no chance in hell I'll actually read them in Norwegian. It'll have to do that my presentation is in Norwegian smile
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Dina

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 am

Just began reading "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson (what a name! Very Happy )
Very promising start!
Back to top Go down
Span_ski

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:37 am

I've just read 'The Return' by Victoria Hislop. It was good, about the Spanish Civil War which sounds brutal btw :/
Back to top Go down
Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:07 am

So I'm reading this book named The Price of Salt, by Patricia Highsmith, which apparently is going to be a film named Carol, with Cate Blanchett playing Carol and Mia Wasikowska as Therese. I haven't finished yet, but it is a beautiful book and I highly recommend it. It is a lesbian lovestory.

I have a quote want you guys to read:

Quote :
Therese pulled out the light. Then Carol splipped her arm under her neck, and all the lenght of their bodies touched, fitting as if something had prearranged it. Happiness was like a green vine spreading through her, streching fine tendrils, bearing flowers through her flesh. She had a vision of a pale white flower, shimmering as if seen in darkness, or through water. Why did people talk of heaven, she wondered.

"Go to sleep", Carol said.

Therese hoped she would not. But when she felt Carol's hand on her shoulder, she knew she had been asleep. It was dawn now. Carol's fingers tightened her hair, Carol kissed her on the lips, and pleasure leaped in Therese again as if it were only a continuation of the moment when Carol had slipped her arm under her neck last night. I love you, Therese wanted to say again, and then the words were erased by the tingling and terrifying pleasure that spread in waves from Carol's lips over her neck, her shoulders, that rushed suddenly the lenght of her body. Her arms were tight around Carol, and she was conscious of Carol and nothing else, of Carol's hand that slid along her ribs, Carol's hair that brushed her bare breasts, and then her body too seemed to vanish in widening circles that leaped further and further, beyond where thought could follow. While a thousand memories and moments, words, the first darling, the second time Carol had met her at the store, a thousand memories of Carol's face, her voice, moments of anger and laughter flashed like the tail of a comet across her brain. And now it was pale blue distance and space, an expanding space in which she took flight suddenly like a long arrow. The arrow seemed to cross an impossibly wide abyss with ease, seemed to arc on and on in space, and not quite to stop. Then she realized that she still clung to Carol, that she trembled violently, and the arrow was herself. She saw Carol's pale hair across her eyes, and now Carol's head was close against hers. And she did not have to ask if this was right, no one had to tell her, because this could not have been more right or perfect.
Back to top Go down
Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 pm

^^ You guys still need to check this above.

-----

Anyway, for no aparent reason I got to this review of Fifty Shades of Grey, even though I haven't read the book and I don't plan on doing so, and I was so amused I thought I had to share. It's hilarious and to the point at the same time. The author adds some gifs and pics to the review, which are are truly amazing, so I really recomend you check the link.

What in the hell just happened? Did I really read that? Oh, my god, I did. I did read that.

Back to top Go down
MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Haha, I have not read the book(s), nor do I intend to, but I love love love people taking the piss out of it ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Mike`

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 am

Started JK Rowling's new book, A Casual Vacancy; freaking brilliant ten chapters in!
Back to top Go down
Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 am

Nice to hear! I've bought the book but I haven't started reading it yet.

I'm determined to read more books this year.
Back to top Go down
Mike`

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Just finished it, SO GOOD. She writes children so well, and I really ended up feeling for them all by the end.
Back to top Go down
Dina

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Isa wrote:
^^ You guys still need to check this above.

-----

Anyway, for no aparent reason I got to this review of Fifty Shades of Grey, even though I haven't read the book and I don't plan on doing so, and I was so amused I thought I had to share. It's hilarious and to the point at the same time. The author adds some gifs and pics to the review, which are are truly amazing, so I really recomend you check the link.

What in the hell just happened? Did I really read that? Oh, my god, I did. I did read that.

haha that is hilarious!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   

Back to top Go down

The Book thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4