Random Thoughts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Random Thoughts. This forum is for everything, whatever we feel like discussing. Nothing is off-topic. Go for it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Book thread

Go down 
+12
Mike`
Phyxrak
Jugz da' Clown
Charles
eli_
Shanna_
Dina
mardou
Span_ski
MissLilly
Isa
House Carl
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
eli_

eli_

The Book thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Loved Montecristo when I was a kid, used to ship him with Haydee. Bad habits start when you're young roll eyes

ETA: just looked it up, can't believe I remembered that girl's name right! Well, it's actually Haydée, but it still counts!
Back to top Go down
House Carl

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Heh, yeah, the Haydee plot is messed with in most adaptations of the work... to get the count together with Mercedes again. I suppose, had there been shippers back in the 19th century, poor Haydee would have been one of the most hated characters for the fandom... But I sort of like her tho. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 am

Books I'm planning on reading over the next few weeks-

The Kingdom of Ohio- Matthew Flaming
The Jungle- Upton Sinclair (never read it in school!)
The Devil in the White City- Erik Larson
Sellevision- Augusten Burroughs
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:59 am

I really wanna stop reading fanfiction and actually read books again but I think I am finding the sheer amount of books I have collected over the last few years a little intimidating.

I just realized the last time a read a book was last march, one I was so excited for and it was terrible.

I think I am just gonna pull out an old favorite and work from there.

Random post is random.
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 pm

just trying to bring this thread back..
The Book thread - Page 3 Tumblr_ly9t4p8BHO1ro2902o1_500
Back to top Go down
Mike`

Mike`

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 pm

I really want to get a full copy of Ferdowsi's Shanemah but no one seems to carry 1,000 year old books. Sad I think I'm going to have to special order but, but Amazon wants like $130 for it. hash
Back to top Go down
eli_

eli_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 am

ETA: moved in the manga thread

Last edited by eli_ on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Phyxrak

Phyxrak

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:12 am

I heart Manga so yes plz for a thread?
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:57 am

Phyxrak wrote:
I heart Manga so yes plz for a thread?

Sure! Thumbs Up

Feel free to start one. I don't think I should do it. I know nothing aboyt manga. I wouldn't know how to start. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Quote :
“Sure, baby, mañana.” It was always mañana. For the next week that was all I heard-mañana, a lovely word and one that probably means heaven.”
I love you kerouac..
Back to top Go down
Mike`

Mike`

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Reading "The Places in Between", it's written by a guy who's walked from Istanbul to Shanghai without stepping foot in a vehicle and relying solely on the local hospitality codes. This one is specifically about the Afghanistan part of his walk and it really makes me want to do something similar, just become a nomad. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mardou

mardou

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 am

has someone ever tried some murakami? norwegian wood or anything? damn I read that one again tonight. I remember now why I shocked me.
Back to top Go down
Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am

I just started reading "Empire State" by Adam Christopher. It's a superhero story set in Prohibition era NYC.
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:05 am

Jugz da' Clown wrote:
I just started reading "Empire State" by Adam Christopher. It's a superhero story set in Prohibition era NYC.

How was it? Sounds interesting.

I started 'A Song of Fire and Ice' while I was on holiday, I'm still only 52% of the way through. Longest. Book. EVER. Well, not really, some of the other Game of Thrones books are longer, I believe... But still, cheese and rice, it's taking forever.
Back to top Go down
Charles

Charles

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 7:02 pm

So, my friend Jayne had a baby and called her Arya...
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 5:50 am

Has anyone read the books True Blood is based upon? (if yes, how are they?)
Back to top Go down
MissLilly

MissLilly

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:44 am

I've heard the books are better. But I cant judge, because I've neither read, or seen the show.

I've just read a book called "Before I Go To Sleep". It was pretty good. It's about a lady who suffers from amnesia, and has lost the memory of her last 20+ years, and every night she goes to sleep she loses memory from the day before. So every day she wakes up thinking she's in her early twenties, or sometimes she thinks she's a child even, and has to go through discovering that she's actually 47 and married. And the book starts with when she decides to start keeping a diary, and have a doctor call and remind her every morning where she's hidden it from her husband. And then it's about what she discovers through recording her days, what the book is about. I recommend it. Enjoyed the book very much smile
Back to top Go down
http://a-lot-of-heart-a-little-crazy.tumblr.com/
Sez

Sez

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 am

Atm I'm reading Amanda Hockings Trylle series. Finished Switched now up to Ascend.
Back to top Go down
http://sezsisatotalgleekhehe.tumblr.com/
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:36 pm

One of the things I really want to do while I'm living in Pakistan is to start reading fiction again and doing that learn more about this part of Asia. So right now I'm reading a book called "The Taliban Cricket Club". It's about a girl who lives in Afghanistan during the peak of the Taliban era (1996-2001). It's brutal but also very entertaining. I'm enjoying it so far. It's weird and fascinating to read so many shocking things about a city (Kabul) that is located 200km from where I am right now.
Back to top Go down
cinco

cinco

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Is it an autobiographical book?
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Nope. It was written by an Indian guy named Timeri N. Murari.

The Book thread - Page 3 Lr06_Taliban_jpg_1073290e
Back to top Go down
Tuk17

Tuk17

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:14 pm

It was Jugz (I think) who mentioned it awhile back, but I just finished reading Hello, Groin and I thought it was an amazing book. I really enjoyed it. smile
Back to top Go down
Alison DiLaurentis

Alison DiLaurentis

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 pm

I should read more. You know, stuff other than fanfiction.
Back to top Go down
Isa

Isa

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

So I've finished the book about Taliban and cricket (so-so, nothing great) and started The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James, Has anyone read this? I've heard it's scary.
Back to top Go down
Shanna_

Shanna_

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Henry James is on my giant reading list but I haven't gotten to him yet. You'll have to share your thoughts on him when you finish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book thread   The Book thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Book thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next